Friday, 27 June 2014

The joys of parenthood

Chris Hoy, Olympic champion, is going to be a dad! He has said he's probably being "blindly optimistic that it'll be great fun and dead easy". Yes, sweet, you are. It's the toughest job I've ever willingly taken on! However, I do think if he's been used to thrashing his body about in the name of sport and winning medals for GB, he's probably going to quite well set up for it. Many parents will know, it's not always your physical health that takes a battering when you get launched into parenthood though. Sleep deprivation can do horrible things to your mind. So I say good luck, Chris, but don't expect a thing and you'll be fine.

Talking of parenthood, I saw a fantastic piece on BBC Watchdog the other night. A reporter was talking about all the little annoyances you notice when you are blessed with a little bundle of joy. The Bounty lady bombarding you with photographic options while recovering from labour is certainly one that resonated with me. I was in hospital for two nights and the rep must have come to me at least four times. I don't want a sodding photograph right now thank you, I'm feeling awful and looking far worse! Then she moved on to car parking spaces that are allocated for parent and child but are often blocked by those with no children. Oh how this rattles my cage! Yesterday, I went to Ikea (looking for things to fill our new home with - more on the house moving saga another day) and managed to get into a parent and child spot for the first time ever. It's so much easier to get out our daughter in those extra wide spaces and I don't need to worry about bashing the neighbouring car. As I was helping our little lady out of the car, however, a car pulled into the space next to me... out pops grandma, grandad and mummy... with a girl that was clearly ten. How does she need extra space?!? Infuriating for the lady with a baby who will miss out on that spot.

The Watchdog reporter also covered how supermarkets put a load of confectionery at the tills, in one final bid to make you part with your cash. She said her toddler always wanted this chocolate bar, that packet of sweets and she found it a total nightmare to pay up and get out of the shop before he had a breakdown or she gave in. Thankfully, we don't have this issue because we are one of *those* parents who don't give our child a load of refined sugar - she's had chocolate twice, but never sweets or those horrific Fruit Shoots drinks - but I did have sympathy with her situation and she must be delighted that some of the supermarkets have agreed to remove such treats from the till areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment